Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fluorescence

This book was interesting. It was different from other poem books that I have read which I think is what made me continue to read it. Jenifer K. Dick's poems were hard to understand. Many of them I had to read a few times to get even a small hint of what she was talking about. Although they were hard to understand she did a good job of  "showing" what she was talking about.

Although this book was rather confusing, there was one poem that stuck out to me and that poem is called 'I want to take back". This poem stuck out to me because it reminded me of Ed Roberson's poem called  "Spontaneous Supremacies". It reminded me of this poem because of the way it is spaced out. That was the first thing that caught my attention. Another thing that caught my attention was the first few words of the poem. The first part goes "I want to take back..." and then in Ed Roberson's poem there is a part that says "...it wants everything back". They just seemed similar and it is nice to see two different poets using close to the same style of writing.

Another poem that was interesting to me is called Anti-dote. This poem is interesting to me because it seems like it is talking about a woman who is on drugs but is trying to quit. The bottle that Jenifer Dick is talking about could be some type of medication to keep her from wanting to go back to the drugs, but it isn't working. She is probably looking out of her window and seeing how happy and carefree all of the people are, and wishing that she could be that too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

1 comment: