Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fiction Packet Number Two

There are a few stories that I found interesting in this packet but the one that was most interesting to me was Internal by Brian Evenson. This story caught my attention right at the beginning because the first sentence. The sentence was "My internship, so Doctor Rauch informs me, will consist not only of the dispensal of pill, the administration of pain and relief, the observation of and restraint of patients-in short, the rigorous exploration of  all the clinic's faces-but in addition, the covert analysis of Rauch's brother." The reason this first sentence caught my attention was because of the part that says "...the administration of pain and relief..." This was interesting because what psychologists intentionally try to cause their clients pain? Also seeing as this person applied for the internship wouldn't they have checked to see what they would be doing before applying? Analyzing someone's brother should not be a part of the job.

Then there was another part in this story that caught m attention and it was the part that says "...Rauch claimed he could ask this of me because I am "hardly the typical intern.""  This is where my group and I started to believe that this intern was not an intern at all but a patient. more evidence of this is on page 60 where the intern says "By what means will Doctor Rauch recall me to the clinic once he feels my analysis sufficient? I cannot be reached by letter, for the mailbox requires a key, a key Doctor Rauch has failed to provide. i am isolated, at the mercy of my advising doctor. I must hurl myself into the analysis and remain engulfed until he drags me forth." this could be further evidence that this intern is a patient because he is cut off from everyone else without any way to communicate unless he or she leaves the apartment that Doctor Rauch has sent this person to. While working under Doctor Rauch and trying to observe his brother, he waited for quite some time and Rauch's brother never showed up.

My group and I later started t notice how this person seemed to be going a bit insane. the intern left Doctor Rauch and went to work for a man named Doctor Kaegan who wanted this person to observe his brother just as Rauch had wanted he or she to do. Under the heading Sharp on page 69, the intern goes into talking about how they will stab the other person in the eye once they look back into the hole and how the other person must be thinking about doing the same thing. Then the intern starts to diagnose himself on page 61 which at least I believe most psychologists do not do, but then again maybe they do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment