Wednesday, May 23, 2012

City Eclogue

When I first started to read Roberson's City Eclogue, I knew that it was going to be a bit of a challenge. Although I did enjoy reading his book, many of the poems were rather confusing and took me quite some time to figure out. After doing so, I realized that I enjoyed his poems for a few reasons but the main reason is that they are different. His poems talk about things that I personally have not seen from other authors.

One of my favorite parts is on page 50 under the section " Beauty's Standing" when he wrote "...we blink our eyes to erase what we see or to clear the eyes to see what we don't...". I am not at all sure why this part stuck out to me, I just find it very interesting. I also like how this part of Beauty's standing has a historical reference to it. I would not have noticed this if one of the people in my group yesterday did not point it out and it was awesome that she could connect the two.

Something else that I enjoyed about this book is that it is not all about one thing. For example in some parts of the book Roberson talks about nature and then in others he gives historical references. On page 16 Roberson goes for the nature theme. He says "Beautifully flowering trees you'd expect should rise from seeds whose fluttering to the ground is the bird's delicate alight or the soft petal stepping its image into the soil...". Then on page 45 he goes into talking about the civil rights movement. If there was a poem book that was about the same thing the entire way through, unless it was very well written, I would not be inclined to read it. Roberson does a good job of making his poems interesting and original.

No comments:

Post a Comment