Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shakespeare, Mullen and Berrigan.

The poems and sonnets by these three authors were very interesting but there were a few of them that really caught my attention. The first one that caught my attention was by Shakespeare and it was a sonnet, it doesn't have a title, the only thing that is over it is a number and that number is 130. This particular sonnet caught my attention because before this one, Shakespeare was talking about love for the most part and then it is just like he had a sudden change of heart. In the sonnet with the number 130 over it, Shakespeare wrote about a mistress and when I read the first sentence, I thought that this would be just like the other sonnets talking about he is head over heels for his mistress but no, he switches everything around completely. He seems to give his mistress a compliment and then destroy it by saying something crude about her right after. The reason I enjoyed this sonnet so much was because it seemed closer to reality then any of his other ones did. Everyone wants to believe in a fairy tale love but this showing the flaws of this woman and in the end he writes "And Yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare!".  In this I believe he means that even though his mistress has all of these things that are nowhere close to perfect, he still loves her for what she has.

The next sonnet that caught my attention was the one by Ted Berrigan. This sonnet does not have a title to it just like that last one. The number that is over this one is XV which is a roman numeral, I am not familiar enough with these to know what number this is so I will just refer to it as that.  This sonnet caught my attention because it was extremely confusing to understand.  I tried to read it in different ways to see if i could get a better understanding of it but nothing worked. Then today in class, one of the other students said how we should read it going from the first line to the last, then the second line to the second to last line. It was pretty awesome. I really like how Berrigan wrote this and I am going to try to mimic his style.

There was also a poem in this packet that was very interesting to me. This poem is called Dim Lady by Harryette Mullen. The reason this poem caught my attention was because it is just about the same as Shakespeare's sonnet with the number 103 over it. It may be a man talking about his girlfriend (hopefully not) or it could be a woman writing from what she thinks a man's point of view could be. Just like Shakespeare's sonnet, I enjoyed this one because of the rawness of it. This person is not writing about butterflies or rainbows but something that can catch a person's eye if they are just flipping pages through a book.

1 comment: